Friday, November 21, 2008

NIACT part 3 - Predators!




PREDATORS! That's what my platoon was conditioned to holler when called to attention. It became a sort of greeting. Thanks Drill Sergeant Shep. That is us above, Bravo Company - 2nd Platoon. I'm in the back with the rifle in the air. That picture is from the last day, after some of our members not flying with us had already left.

One of the best days at NIACT was the heavy weapons familiarization training. We got to fire the Mk 2 50 cal, M-240B, and M-249 SAW. Just enough ammo was provided to get a feel for each, about 30 rounds per weapon - I'm holding it for the two smaller guns. I'll tell you what, that 50 cal is both impressive and intimidating but lots of fun to fire. I put a few holes in the beat up trucks out on the range. Check out this video of me shooting the SAW, Hooah!




During the final few days we were preparing for our final exam like event, the Convoy exercise. We practiced stacking up and kicking doors in for entry into a building, IED identification, radio communications, convoy procedures, crowd control, vehicle inspections, more first aid, and land navigation. The convoy exercise was pretty good. It was complete with IEDs and staff playing the role of bad guys. The convoy ended up in a mocked up city. I wound up getting "killed" from a bad guy hiding up high in a tower but the platoon accomplished its mission. Overall NIACT was a good experience and I learned a lot. Fortunately most of the skills won't be used or needed in Africa. Go Narmy!

Here I am with all my gear, 3 full seabags, a suitcase, and a carry-on.

No comments: